Smart Trees Pacific (STP) recognizes that Hawaii’s tropical urban trees are a dynamic resource and play a critical role in island communities. Besides the traditional environmental benefits of trees, tropical urban forests are the first line of defense from catastrophic storms and inland water runoff that can impact coral reefs and near shore marine ecosystems, they minimize the effects of climate change occurrences such as a sea level rise and coastal erosion, and they are a dramatic and visual backdrop for Hawaii’s economic engine – tourism. STP has extensive knowledge (more than 40 years collectively) that demonstrates our knowledge and skills in Urban Forestry. Over the past ten years staff and Board members have shown their ability to initiate community environmental change through collaborative working groups to:
- recommend an integrated course of action to reduce the negative impacts of invasive species on the native ecosystems
- analyze Honolulu’s street tree resource structure, function, value and management needs
- investigate whether trees could be measures of protection in coastal areas
- assess Honolulu’s tree canopy
- develop an urban forestry emergency operations planning toolkit
Additionally, Staff and Board members have extensive experience with large scale program assessment, design, development and implementation services; hazard tree assessments; sustainable community development; landscaping planning; complete streets program; and LEED certification.
Our Resources include:
- technical expertise
- funding (grants, donations and membership)
- people (volunteers, professionals, corporate contacts/referrals)
- materials (tools, equipment, trees, books, etc.)
- facility access (meeting space, planting sites, etc.).