Purpose of an Urban Forestry Strategy
- To perpetuate the existing trees as long as is practicable or desirable in accordance with sound arboricultural practices.
- To create a diverse population of trees of mixed age and species.
- To encourage partnerships with local communities, businesses and voluntary organizations to ensure the aims of the strategy.
- Develop pro-active maintenance regimes for the urban street trees.
- Utilize Risk Assessment techniques to form part of tree inspections to measure potential health & safety issues and perform the necessary works to alleviate high risk situations.
- Promote the benefits of Hawaii’s Urban Forest to the community.
- To protect the Urban Forest.
- To enhance and protect Hawaii’s biodiversity, landscape character and local distinctiveness.