Smart Trees Pacific (Friends of Hawaii’s Urban Forest) is an environmental non-profit organization that provides technical and material resources to best use urban trees as a dynamic resource that will enhance and manage sustainable communities.
Research has clearly demonstrated and measured the economic, environmental, social and human health benefits that are provided by trees within communities. Property values are higher, people are happier and healthier, crime is lower, and children learn more. Trees are the first line of defense from catastrophic storms and inland water runoff that can impact coral reefs and near shore marine ecosystems, they minimize the effects of climate change occurrences such as a sea level rise and coastal erosion, and they are a dramatic and visual backdrop for Hawaii’s economic engine – tourism.
Smart Trees is seeking opportunities to increase the collective understanding, establishment and maintenance of the urban forest. We believe that using sophisticated technology coupled with sound arboriculture practices will lead to enhanced value and benefits, and an acceptance of trees as an integral component of the green infrastructure.
The Smart Trees Pacific staff and Board have extensive technical and professional, hands-on experience, and are recognized experts in urban forestry capable of:
- Acting as agents of positive change for community greening.
- Designing and implementing large-scale urban forest management assessments and management plans.
- Designing and conducting tree risk assessments and recommending risk reduction measures.
- Applying state-of-the-art technology to understand and manage the urban forest.
- Conducting landscape planning and complete streets programs.
- Supporting LEED certification.
- Partnering with groups to develop urban forestry research and management plans.
- Developing tools to mitigate the effects of natural disasters on the urban forest.
- Collaborating with or engaging industry leaders and planners in its projects.
Contact us to see how we can help with your next project.