The results of this study illustrated a need for an urban forestry emergency operations planning guide for storm response. No organization or municipality has the luxury of working and responding to storms independently. Collaboration is the key.
This project is unique due to its participation of experts who provided:
- Support for the development and launch of the survey.
- Informative discussions about storm readiness through interviews.
- Expert review of the document based on a working knowledge of storm response.
Our team hopes that the reader finds this guide useful in planning and preparing your community’s response to storms. We believe that a well thought out and tested storm preparedness protocol is essential in this era of increasing storms across the urban forest.
1. Develop an urban forestry storm response BMP for utilities and municipalities.
- Initiate joint discussions between professional associations (for example, ISA, UAA and SMA) to facilitate mutual collaborations.
- Work with a team of experts to develop the BMP.
- Develop an urban forestry ICS.
2. Communicate and promote the BMP.
3. Implement the BMP.